Saturday 23 January 2021

My Opinion On Sam Hutchinson's Potential Return

 

As the pace gathers on Sam Hutchinson's impeding return to Sheffield Wednesday I thought I'd write this quick piece giving my opinion on it.


Personally while I understand the argument people are making about brining Hutchinson back to Hillsborough, I don't think it's the right decision. Firstly he's a player we released back in the summer, now I fully appreciate circumstances can and have changed, not least the manager, it still doesn't change other factors.

We know Hutchinson has a track record of not being able to stay fit, that's beyond question now. In a season where we will probably be playing two games a week until the end of it, is it really wise to bring back an injury prone, ill disciplined player the wrong side of 30? This isn't to take away from Hutchinson's past at Wednesday, he was very good between 2014 and 2017. The Sam Hutchinson of the first half of 2016/17 probably gets into most Championship sides at centre half or his usual central defensive midfield role. But that was a long time ago and he hasn't shown anywhere near that level of consistency for a while. He's been frozen out twice by two different managers and while you can argue both those managers suffered results wise it doesn't mean they both weren't in the right in that aspect.

There's a romanticism about Hutchinson with Wednesday fans, I'm not taking away from his story, his battle with depression and coming back from retirement is a great story and one that should be used to inspire others, but at the end of the day, the most important thing is the club and results. I don't believe Hutchinson can come back and provide what Wednesday need. It's all very well saying he'll add “fight and spirit” and he “loves the club”. You could find loads of people who offer those qualities, doesn't mean they should be signed. As a fanbase we seem to constantly look to the past for answers. Is it so bad to look for something new, something fresh? I don't think so personally.

There's also a practicality point to all this, Hutchinson has been playing, or rather not playing in the top division in Cyprus, not exactly the highest of standards. Can he really just walk back into a Championship side, in this season like no other, with his track record? Would be some story if he did I'll give you that.

At some point, Sheffield Wednesday need to move on as a club. Look to the future and personally I'd rather take a chance on a young player from a lower division or invest in someone like the hugely impressive Liam Shaw than return to a player we binned off six months before. What does this say about Wednesday's long term transfer strategy?

I don't want this to come across too negative, end of the day I support the team. If Sam Hutchinson, as I expect he will, re-signs for us. I'll support him if he's in the team, like every other player. I'll be the first to hold my hands up and order a slice of humble pie if he comes in and has a huge impact. I just don't see it happening the way people are imagining.

Thanks for reading,

Tom

WAWAW

No comments:

Post a Comment